Skip to main content

Choices for Grad School


College and Choices

Undergraduate was an easy choice for me. I only applied to two schools. I knew I wanted to go to the University of Illinois. I loved it. Honestly, I fell in love with the town, the school, and the people. If they had a Grad Program that fit me, I'd apply in a heartbeat. Sadly, they don't.

U of I at Springfield has a program that fits what I want to do. I'm going into Public Administration (either City Management or Non-Profit), however, location wise, I'd rather move closer to Chicago. So now I'm looking at schools in Chicago/Burbs, Northern, etc. 

I figured I'd better start now, if I get too busy with work, classes, and other activities... Plus, midterms are coming up and my deadlines for real estate homework is soon. And before I know it the deadlines will be here and time has flown by.

a Not-so-FUN-FACT: did you know there are some cities/states that don't have Cystic Fibrosis Clinics (and some the ratings and reveiws aren't good). Which is why I'm looking mostly around Chicago area, they have better ratings and reveiws. They have better equipment and machines. Actually, some states don't have CF Clinics at all (like Wyoming). However, my doctor has a private practice for CFers, so he wouldn't be on the list of CF Care-Centers, anyway.

So my priority list may look different than that of your average person:

Top 5 factors
1. Good program
2. $ tuition
3. # of hours I drive to a GOOD CF Clinic has to be 3 hours or less.
4.  Where I'd live/Who I know/The location (fun?)
5. The rating of the nearby hospital. Less face it if I have to have surgery I wouldn't want to live in a tiny town, where the hospital doesn't do surgeries.. Eastern/Charleston was a nightmare and has taught me to be prepared.

Right Now, I'm looking at DePaul, Gov. State, Northern, and U of I at Springfield. I may add more, but for now those are the schools that have programs in P.A (non-profit/City Management). A few of those schools eve n have online and long distance programs, IF (BIG IF..lol) I decide I want to stay in Pton. I know quite a few people in the burbs and Chicago. They love it and I know I would too, BUT I'm trying to keep an open mind, perhaps I will want to stay, and perhaps I will be anxious to move to Chicago. Who knows. I have roughly 9-10 months to figure it out and a few months to get applications going.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Theatre and Life...how to fit in CF?

Fitting CF into my life: Cystic Fibrosis won't be hard to fit into my schedule right now. As I just finished my job watching my babysitting kids for the year. I'm currently job hunting and taking classes on Mondays at the local community college (as a pre-req for Grad programs/and for fun). Mulan Jr, just ended today. We had two shows. Back-to-back performances are harder, since I had a busy day before the shows, I didn't get a chance to do my meds before the shows. Therefore, I end up bringing my therapy machine along.  Yep, sitting in the light booth and doing my meds, while watching people take their seats. [Note: I turned my therapy machine off when the house lights had to go out.] Its not that hard to fit them in. You just have to be willing to do them sometimes in unexpected places and be willing to have others find out about it. I had two people in the light booth with me, neither knew I had Cystic Fibrosis, but neither were bothered by the nebs. So bottom line