Skip to main content

Dating: "So I have CF..."

"I have CF..." just say it!

So I have read some questions about relationships on a couple of the CF online communities and I've noticed lots of CFers have different attitudes when it comes to dating and when/how to tell a guy you have CF. Ha, it’s never easy... some respond with questions and some says "it’s cool". lol. You never know. But the sooner you tell them, the sooner they can accept it and learn how to deal with it, and you will be able a healthy relationship.

I am by no means an expert on relationships. However, here is my opinion and advice to fellow CFers, so they do not make the same mistakes I did.

I dated a couple guys in college, but I didn't stand up for myself (when it came to meds) and would always agree to go out (late at night) or travel to visit friends for a weekend. I wouldn't pack my therapies and I wouldn't take my pills in front of them. Basically, my health always suffered. I dated a few guys I had known since High School and it was easier (I didn't have to "hide" anything), but I still would put my health on the "back burner." My last relationship was the worst for me medically. My last boyfriend would hang out with me from the time my classes ended until like midnight...I would miss my therapies for the day and by the time he'd leave I would be too tired to make my stomach feeding. People started saying I looked thin, etc. and I did. I weighed myself on my parent's scale and I had lost 20 lbs. in two months... I had clinic in one month. The relationship ended and I worked hard on my health. I got my weight back before clinic, but realized I was not at a point in my life where I was ready to be in a relationship. I decided to stay single for at least a year and work on my health and figuring out myself (that was in 2010).

Cfers: Never, be scared to share or tell your BF/GF about your health. It will only harm your health and the relationship.
I look back at who I was a couple years ago and I can't believe I let relationships, plays, and other activities interfere with my health. You DON'T have to choose between social life or health! I can't give advice on how to deal with CF and a relationship, since I'm still single. I know from my mistakes what I should have done. Taking the time to figure that out made me tougher and even more determined to keep my health an active part of my life! I'm soo glad I understand better how to balance my social life (play practices, meetings, CIDF, church events, etc) with my Cystic Fibrosis!

And my hometown may seem boring, but it has given me a chance to figure it out before heading to Grad School. I'm so thankful for it. Now the only place for me to look is forward! Starting with my 5K goal! Then later on...Grad School.

BOTTOM LINE CFers: I found it hard going from hometown to college (everyone in my hometown knows). If I cough in my hometown, nobody notices. But if I coughed in Champaign, I'd get stared at and disgusted looks. It’s tough, but don't let it bother you and ESPECIALLY don't let it hinder you. Keep on top of your health and you can balance it with your social life. I promise! It just took me a little longer to figure it out!


*Added Nov 2014 - 2 more posts on dating: Click here to read my perspective & my boyfriend's

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you figured it out... and I know what you mean about not telling someone because it is (1) embarrassing and (2) a sensitive subject even in a healthy relationship. I have to say that I think this happens to A LOT of people in relationships... putting their health on the back burner. Even people who don't have CF or a mental illness or a terminal illness or something of that sort. People just tend to "let things go" when they get in a relationship, for various reasons. I think that it is perhaps the result of being/becoming co-dependent in the relationship... which is never a good thing... but sometimes happens without you realizing it. I have to keep a pretty strict regimen too, with the food I eat, when I eat, how much I eat, how much I work out, when I work out, taking meds, getting the appropriate amount of sleep, not stressing myself out too much, etc. It's all a very intricate matter in my life... and most men don't get it! Unfortunately, "getting it" doesn't seem to be enough to make a relationship last. They also have to be willing to "work with it" and stick by your side.

    The way I see it, if you are strong enough to assert yourself for your needs and wants, THE RIGHT GUY will be right there with you encouraging you and helping to make it possible... NOT trying to monopolize your time and energy for his own benefit. But that's just my point of view, I'm sure there are other viewpoints out there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree! (ps. it nots like my past BFs did anything wrong, I didn't tell them I when I needed to do meds). You are right about it having to with the right balance though. And yes, "the right guy" will understand about your eating/working out/stress, etc. Just like "the right guy" will try to understand/ and eventually understand my CF. There are plenty of guys like this, in fact a lot of my guy friends are perfect exmaples! :-) Glad you enjoy the blog and can relate so much. Love hearing from you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers