Skip to main content

Black Plague ( known as Cepacia B)

Black Plague

I had a long car drive home to think, so this is long, but heartfelt.

Tonight I went to a meeting for a non-profit I help with and while discussing somebody's anger issues. I decided to share a part of my past with the board that was there. I still am in shock I did so, considering very, VERY, few people know this. But I'm not ashamed and feel like others have been in my place.

Naturally, the next step, is to share it on a blog, where everyone has access to it. (heh.)

When I was little around middle school age I had some anger issues. I used to get angry over nothing and scream and once in a while even push my mom ( luckily I was tiny and not very strong).

She would just hug me and tell me she loved me, she never got angry back.  She knew I was angry because quite a few of my friends with Cystic Fibrosis were passing away, from Cepacia B and other infections that were spreading ( apparently at the parties, camps, and apts) around.

About a year after a lot of my Cystic Fibrosis Friends  passed away was when it came public "we weren't encouraged to be around each other". (How frustrating it wasn't figured out sooner!)

I was sooo upset, I thought I was going to die, I thought I might have caught what they had. I was angry Casey, Andrea, Shauna, etc were gone and never coming back. Mostly, I didn't understand why they had died but I was still here. It took me most of jr. high to be able to move past how much it scared me.

 In Jr High, I had 3 Cf friends left : Laura, Kevin, and Danny. Due to us not being able to see each other and lack of internet being widely used back then, we lost touch.

I ran into Laura, when were 18 or so, randomly at a Dr.s Appt and we swapped numbers and have been super close ever since. We can't be around each other, but we talk as much as possible and know we are always there for each other. I love her very much <3

I found out in 2006 that Kevin "monkey boy" had passed away in 2003.

Then in 2010 I found Danny on Facebook, I saw his profile pic and knew it was him, I would know my "surfer dude" anywhere.

He was my first crush, first kiss (we were 10 yrs old, when we had a "date"). Danny asked my dad if we could watch a movie in my room and my dad went to grab a cup of coffee ( and Danny kissed me on the check). We watched Princess Bride and he even called the Nurses Station for Popcorn (which they brought).

I have videos of us exercising and doing neb treatments together. What you may not realize is when a CFer was in the hospital for 3 weeks at time and multiple times a year (usually at the same time as other CFers, we never spent time apart-  before we knew it was harmful). 

Danny and I  lost contact when we were 14 yrs old, we both wanted to go to my 8th Grade Dance together, but we couldn't. So here I was 11 yrs later staring at him on the screen. Then I saw on his wall lots of posts... He had passed away 3 months before. I cried and told my amazing roommate Stacey all about him.

This may be a sad post, but this it, this is the skeleton that was hanging in my closet, but there is no reason to hide it.
But the truth is to see the beauty, you have to see the ugly. And I know I appreciate my life and will never take it for granted, I will fight for the lives of the future generations with CF and I will do so in the memory of all my friends (Casey, Andrea, Danny, Kevin, Monia, Shauna, Abbey, and "tubes") But by discussing this, I am remembering my friends. I know I was lucky, and I am still lucky.

I'm lucky to have the family, friends, and support to look at life postively. Becasue of this I hae always been motivated to work on my health, so I can fight against my CF and I hope others do the same!

*Also I promise  most blogs are not sad. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment