Skip to main content

Starved Rock State Park


The fun way to get my exercise  :-)
Sarah and I hiked at Starved Rock State Park today!

I usually have to work or play practice, errands, or something. But I had nothing planned for this afternoon/evening! I asked Sarah if she wanted to go hiking at Starved Rock.


We both are always prepared and packed bags with water, sunblock, and snacks. My bag also contained some bandaids (I'm lil accident prone) and of course my meds and inhaler (which I rarely ever use, even when I'm indeed needing it).


We started by first heading into the trails towards Pontiac Canyon, then we walked over to the River Trail and enjoyed the veiw of the River. Once we  were almost to horsehoe bend we had to turn around (where it looks like I made a mistake with the higlighter). Which wasn't a mistake, we started to hear thunder and decided to head back towards the lodge. We had to back track probably .25 miles. But we took the hiking trails past 4 more canyon/spots on the way back.  Seeing rock formations, the beautiful wildlife, and a turkey & deeer uplcose was definetly a perk to hiking (rather than jogging on a bike path or around my neighborhood).

Towards the end of our hike we came to this lovely site... We didn't notice that when we started hiking we were slowly declining. Now, here were the stairs we had to go back up in order to head back on the new route. Otherwise, we had to turn around and go the same way back. We decided to forge ahead. We had done probably 50 stairs total up to this point. At one point while huffing and puffing up the stairs I said "Sarah, at least we can see the top." I was wrong, we get up farther and realize the stairs turn to the right and there are another 30 or so more. A guy who was walking down the path saw my unenthusiastic face and cheered me on by saying "you're almost at the top!" I then looked at Sarah and said "Next time we are coming down this way and going up the other way..."

We came out on the wrong side of the Lodge and had to walk around it. I think we walked about 3 miles today. I normally jog 2.5, so that works for me!    
I'm glad we came out at the wrong side though because Sarah and I saw this:  Its the sign we used for girls scouts. Sarah and I have been friends since Kindergarten and both our moms were our Girl Scout leaders for 10 years! We learned everything we know about nature and hiking in GS. I still have my Junior Vest actually; Some of my favorite childhood memories include Sarah and Girl Scouts, so it was the perfect way to end our day!
As you can see there are many more Canyons for me to see! I hope to go again really soon! If you aren't somebody who wants to jog, try hiking, or biking, or playing tennis, roller blading, rock climbing! The more exercise I do the more I like it (I didn't expect to enjoy it this much)!








Comments

  1. My husband and I LOVE to go to Starved Rock! I've got several posts on my blog about it, too. It's a beautiful place and we actually considered getting married there, but we didn't. Looks like you guys had a great time and got some great exercise in! I've been up and down those stairs....down is much easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracias por tomarse el tiempo para discutir esto, lo siento y me encanta aprender más sobre este tema. Si es posible, a medida que adquiere experiencia, ¿le importaría actualizar su blog con más información? Es muy útil para mí.
    Juega gratis http://www.juegosfriv.live/wormate-io.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today's BIG Appointment

 I discussed last week about my recent struggles & goals. I have been dealing with a lot all at once! Family planning (update on that in 2 weeks), my Grandma's funeral, lower lung function. Through it all I have remained very compliant with my meds! My health is VERY important to me. So this last weekend I took my vest machine, wabi sterilizer system , and packs of ensure to my parent's for the weekend. I wanted to make sure I did everything. While it was a sad occasion, it was still pleasant seeing almost all of the family together again. Actually 27 out of 29 of the cousins made it to the funeral. Grandpa is in the middle of the picture (can you find me?) LOL   On top of my medications I have been doing some dancing & walking, but no jogging or anything. I'm still counting calories on my fitbit (hitting over 3000) a day (& 40 grams of protein, 50 grams of fat at least). I knew I was feeling a bit better than before, but wasn't sure what to expec

Post- Surgery Appointment

Post Surgery Appt: As you prolly know, I had Laparoscopic Triple Hernia Surgery last Tuesday. Here was a picture of me devouring a piece of bread so I could go home afterward the surgery (4 hours post surgery and 20 mins post waking up from recovery). I was ready to go home! Today I had my post surgery check up. He said everything in the surgery went well and besides the finding the 3rd hernia there were no surprises. He pointed out where the staples/stitches (they are holding the mesh in place) are in me. I have two on each side at the end of the mesh (so 4 on top) and two down farther in my groin. Apparently, I just have one huge piece of mesh that runs the width and length of my whole abdomen/groin area. Bahaha. I am Inspector Gadget after all. He said a few more weeks before I can lift stuff or exercise. Also, he said the area where the staples are will hurt when bending or twisting. However, I only notice really when I twist or turn too fast. Overall, it was a nice appointment

Big Update Time & what I need!

Time Flies: I've been blogging about all these separate things I have going on in my life. My lung function drop, the hospital stay, my stomach/ GI issues, the surgery, the Princeton IL CF walk, my fight with insurance for my Cayston medication/machine, and soooo much more. So here's a bit of a catch up for everyone! Let me start at the very beginning: read my CF history in this brief post here . Now let's skip ahead to the last 6 months. From September 2014 - Feb 2015 I lost 3 CF friends ( it was really tough). In September my best friend with CF (from childhood & on) passed away from CF. I wrote a post about her journey, love for life, and how she was (& is) my inspiration to fund raise (read about Laura's Journey here ). Then in October I got my G-tube taken out/ fistula fixed and removed. YAY YAY YAY! The abdominal surgery was my 15th surgery, so I recovered pretty quickly. I'm beyond thrilled to say after 15 YEARS with a G-tube and needing to u