Skip to main content

CF's lil laughs & awkward moments!

A random list of things I've heard said about me (in my life):

1. Plenty of people have thought I smoked in the past and few thought I was anorexic (because of how thin I got).

2. Been accused of having Swine flu at College

3. Been labeled as a genetic disease whenever taking a genetic/Bio class

 None, of these bother me. Everyone jumps to conclusions. They are all funny stories now! Here are the stories:

1. (At U of I) Smoking Story: A guy that I liked at U of I kept joking  around making little digs about my smoking, and I always thought he was kidding. Then a few weeks later when people started thinking we were dating, he mentioned to me how he could never date a girl that smoked. Oh he wasn't joking, he thought I smoked. And I remember thinking, "how bout a girl with a lung disease?" Needless to say, we never dated.

Anorexia Story: I'd eat dinner on fridays before I headed out the door to meet a ton of friends at an extra cirricular we did called IV (intervarsity). I didn't like eating infront of large groups of people (due to taking pills).  I didn't even know that this guy/friend was thinking that I was anorexic. We had been hanging out quite a bit, But the one night I happened to take my pills (sneakily without nobody noticing) and I did eat a piece of pizza (which I'm not a big fan of). It was .50 cent night and I was in college (its cheap food). I happened to go the restroom after I finished eating and he kinda freaked out thinking I was going to go throw up my pizza. Very awkward moment in my life.

2. Swine Flu Story: I think I mentioned this in another blog, but once I had a professor very rudely tell me in the hallway that I shouldn't be out when I was sick. She thought I had Swine Flu and when I told her I didn't, she said maybe I'd better go see someone and make sure, because I didn't sound healthy. I then said something along the lines of "I'm tired of people avoiding me like the plague, I don't have Swine Flu, I have Cystic Fibrosis." I walked off, but the professor followed me and stopped me to apologize. We then had a long and nice chat.

3.Labeled in Bio Class Story: In high School, most people knew I had CF, except a few people. This short list of people who didn't know included my Science Teacher and at least one kid in my class. They day we did our presentations on a genetic disease my partner (Sarah) and I chose Cystic Fibrosis. While discussing it affected the lungs by building up mucus, and how other organs can be affected for a CFer, this kid in the back of the room kept making comments like "ew, yuck, what a gross disease, and crap that can't be healthy, they're doomed, etc." Then I pulled out the awesome visual aids I had (actual nebulizers, etc) and my teacher asked me where I got them and i responded "at home". She asked me "you have these at your house?" and I said "yeah, I have CF."he look dumbfounded and the kid in back responded " Crap, I'm an Ass."  LOL Almost died Laughing!

Now for funny reactions: (how people react when I tell them I have CF)

10. "what's that like?"
9. "aw, I want to hug you"
8. "What that F*** is that?"
7. "how long have you had it"
6. "So you have a Cyst?"
5. "Oh, yeah I have some asthma."
4.  "Can I catch it?"
3.  "Do you hate it?"
2. "Shit" - this was a new one I heard from a castmate recently..LOL
1. and my dentist: "Oh, my wife had that once"

and yes I still go the same dentist. Regardless of his lack of knowledge about CF, his knows his teeth! :-)

Sometimes, I wish I had a hidden camera on me when I told people. some people have great reactions. They ask me what it is, what does it mean, what do I have to do to stay healthy... And some have no clue what to say. I can't blame them, its a little like dropping a bombshell on them.

Maybe I will hear more down the road that top these. We'll see.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video Blog: Life in the hospital (as a child)

The daily life in the hospital! Most people cringe at the idea of a hospital. However, when I was little I never minded going into the hospital. I usually would have at least one other friend with Cystic Fibrosis to hang out with there (before we knew about the "CF Bugs"). I didn't love being sick, but I loved my CF friends that I would hang out with. Also the hospital, nurses, and my parent's tried to make it a "normal" environment. I got up and put on cute clothes, "walked to school", flirted with a couple CF boys, did homework, came "home" (back to my room), my friends would ask my parent if I could go play with them. We'd hang out in the play room or go on a walk with one of my parents! My dad loved taking me on walks and I LOVED going on our walks! Here is a video blog of the route we took and bit of information on what is was like growing up (for a chunks at a time) in the hospital! (it is posted via youtube, let is dow

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh

Updates!

 Hey everyone! Sorry it’s been a while. Covid struggles have been all around and we have been focusing our on our kiddo and current life situations (jobs, home, everything really). We have been posting regularly on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CherizCFPage). We will keep you updated on there for now,  because we are doing some big changes to our current blog! Stay tuned!  In meantime, message our FB page if you need anything. Keep safe and stay happy.  We will be back. Promise!