Skip to main content

Blog or not to Blog? Always my question.

Blog or not to Blog?

That is usually my question. I can think of multiple topics about CF or things that happened to me that I could write about. Figuring out which one works best is the hard part.

So tonight I decided to bite the bullet and discuss something that has been a big topic on the CF Facebook group and my friend Laura, specifically asked about.


People have been asking about our stomachs. I know this is something I still personally struggle with a lot. I have a bikini that only gets worn at my parent's pool infront of my mom, dad, sister. But it is dumb to be scared ofwhat people will think of my G-Tube. I need that G-Tube to keep my weight up. It keeps me healthy, why am I ashamed of it? My surgical scars are not that bad, thanks to best Surgeon EVER (Dr. Vagunta)!!! <3 Vagunta!

So here it is: a pic of my scars and another pic of me hooked up!

Don't mind the red marks, thats where the bandaids and tape irritate my skin.

Also, my mediport scar is hard to see in the picture, its about an inch long. Its a really nice scar too though, becuase Vagunta fixed it from another surgeon who did a hack job!





My Stomach Tube hooked up for the night! I use gauze to keep it stable and incase it leaks, I flush it with water in the morning too!
I feel weird posting pictures of my stomach, but it is something a lot of people with G-Tubes and Scars deal with. The scars don't bother me, to be honest I see them as a personal triumph I had over my CF. They are Battle Scars too! Each one represent a time of a struggle where a surgeon saved my life! My G-Tube, is harder for me to show people.

However, in Hairspray, my stomach tube kept having issues and leaking during the shows. So, I had different people chipping in to find me gauze, tape, bandaids, etc. And I would go into the make-up room and change the gauze between my scenes.

Nobody was grossed out and one person even said "Hey, you got one of those too!" when they saw it. I was like whoa, you've seen one. And apparently a family member in his family has one. It was like he was excited, which made me feel even less weird.  I love that multiple people in the Cast told me to just wear my bikini if I prefer it.

And who knows, maybe sometime I will wear it infront of my friends, or even at a public pool. For now, I will just post it.


CFers: don't be afraid and don't be ashamed.

I'm not ashamed, I'm proud! and very honored to have had the medical staff I have that worked sooo hard all the time to keep me healthy. Why be ashamed of their beautiful, loving, and life saving work!






Comments

  1. yeah cheriz!!!! love this blog keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, thanks! (in reference to your blog) Sorry, to hear about all the hassle of meds your having. I'm allergic to some antibiotics too! you keep blogging too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

Exercise is VITAL to my HEALTH!

One big promise I have struggled with in past, present, and probably future is to EXERCISE! I know a lot of people struggle with the same problem, regardless is they have CF. We are too good at making excuses for ourselves. I don't have time, I don't feel good, I will start next week. I was on the right track in 2012. I was doing musicals, where I was singing or dancing every night. AND I was coming home to walk or jog almost 5x a week! I started slow and added more distance as I could. I would walk 2x a week with a friend. This is where I focused on distance & length, not speed. Then on the opposite nights, I would jog as much as I could, walk catch breath, and repeat. I had more muscle, was eating more, gaining weight, and my lung function was the highest it had ever been! 60 - 64% <--- WOW! I was single, didn't have a TV (on purpose) and kept myself accountable through my blog & friend (w CF) Laura. Since then a lot has changed. Living with another pers