Skip to main content

150th Blog Entry: Importance of Peer Support Online

Why did I start a blog? What is the point of this blog: catching up on little things.


I started writing this blog in Feb of 2012. A year and a half a go! I have written 150 blog entries, I've had 14,906 visits to my site. ( breaking it down that = 784 people visiting my site per month. However, that monthly count increases each month. For the month of September I had 981 visits). 

Why does this matter?

 It means, I'm not completely boring and perhaps it means other CFers have found my blog and enjoy reading and relating to topics I discuss. I love getting comments from people, I have met many people through blogging and I love this idea of networking. 

( fun fact: this is latest views I've broken down by location)
United States 11818 
Russia 760
Canada 309
Germany 251
United Kingdom 194
Ukraine 151
Australia 137
South Korea 89
France 87
Spain 83

I especially feel it is important to network via computers and other electronic devices for CFers. Since we are discouraged from being around each other, we have no where else to turn to talk to others who can fully relate to what we are going through.

My family and friends (non-CF) of course are an amazing support system and I love them very much for this. But, in most cases there are support groups of peers for people with Chronic Illnesses. Such as AIDS, cancer, etc.s We do not have this type of outlet. 

I'm fortunate in some ways, and not so much in others. When I was growing up doctors had no idea about these "bugs" that break down our ability to fight CF and progress our disease faster. Now we do understand the risks associated with being around other CF patients. 
For more info on the bacteria we can spread and harbor -> look at these two significant "bugs" that the CF community is trying to avoid like the plague--

 Cepacia B. click HERE and for info on the newest "bug" MRSA click HERE!

This discovery was made around 1996, when I was 12 years old.  I went from hanging out at regularly with my CF friends, to not seeing them. Most of them did catch various "bugs" and within 2 years, 3 of my 4 best friends had passed away. This was difficult, but I wouldn't trade getting to know them, be with them. Now, CFers do not know many other CFers face-to-face. Instead the generations younger than me, who were NEVER allowed contact grew up only getting to know others via facebook and social media sites. Which is helpful, but not the same. Peer support is a very big challenge in the CF community.

This is one of the many reasons why I'm focusing my Grad School Research and future career to CF Social Work. Even though, I will not be able to use direct services to provide support for CF patients (since I can't be around them), I can still use reaerch, funding, advocacy, and policy change to help better the social needs of CFers.

My blog I started 1.5 years ago, was my first step in this direction. It wasn't a big step, but it got me out in the world sharing and advocating. Shortly after, I started doing CF Stand Up Comedy, and I become increasingly more involved in CF Walks and Fundraisers each year. 

Also- UPDATE: My liver enzymes were normal last week at clinic, the Cipro and Prednisone helped my lungs and I'm feeling a lot better. So here's hoping my lung function goes up in Oct at my next clinic. Also, been thinking a lot about my friend Laura! She has CF, she is the 4th of (those 4 childhood friends), she got married is last week! But, I've been thinking about how much she has been struggling this year. I wish I could make it so she didn't struggle. She is back in the hospital, more infections, more battling of MRSA, and waiting for transplant coordinator to get her case put together, so she can be listed for new lungs. She always has a go-get-em attitude and can smile through anything. She is absolutely amazing! I made a video for her awhile ago. It is posted in this blog : Video for Laura to keep a smile on her face :-)


This is the purpose of this blog: To understand CF and how it affects me (perhaps other patients even) daily. My blog is very personal, I share a lot. I don't discuss only hard-core CF topics or controversial topics. I want the people who read my blog to get to me and how CF affects me. Hopefully, in return this blog affects some of my readers.


AND lastly, I'm doing a CF walk in Peoria on October 5th! Feel free to join me or donate at this link: Cheriz's CF Walk Page!
 (the GreatStrides Pic on the left side of my blog will always have most next CF Walk linked to it)

I hope you understand why I wrote my blog and have been enjoying reading. Thank you for your support!

Comments

  1. Hello Cheriz! I don't know if you remember me but, my name is Traci Sanchez (a.k.a. Mom Sanchez) mother to Tyler and Jason. We are from Stanley Garrity Chapter. Nancy Bailey posted your blog on Facebook and I couldn't help but comment. You are absolutely an amazing inspiration to others! I always remember you being a happy and outgoing State Sweetheart, not realizing the journey you were going through at the time. I remember Mom Scanlan saying what a remarkable girl you are, and she couldn't be more right. You have truly grown to be a beautiful young lady and could not be more proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thanks! Of course, I remember you and the boys! I'm still in touch with T.J from Stanley Garrity :-) I loved those years, great times. Everyone always understood about my CF, chapter advisors, even the boys in the chapters made sure I had my meds and helped take care. I can't tell you how many times, Frankie, David or Johnny would try to get to eat tons of fast food to gain weight. Haha, great memories. Thank you for reading, I'm glad people enjoy the blog! Take Care, and maybe now that I live in the burbs I could attend some Garrity stuff!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of the Year Troubles

Normal "beginning of the year" troubles for Andrew and I only really consist of one topic: Our Deductible [please no Obama, or government bashing] I've always had high deductibles ALL MY LIFE (no matter who was president). The problem is I hit my deductible within the first week of January. In the past I have always prepared for this and since I was still on my father's insurance (up until last year) he typically paid the bill (at least for medical stuff). And in the future Andrew & I won't have such an issue with this. We will be able to save and plan ahead for the $3,000 (for my deductible, his is another $3,000). However, this year was more difficult. We saved all 2013-2014 for our wedding & honeymoon, plus had our deductible saved too. But Real Estate was a pricey career to start, I've put almost $5,000 into it (classes, dues, licensing, exam, advertising, etc). So needless to say our deductible disappeared, thanks to my new career. Wh

5K. I could cry. Beyond Annoyed.

My 5K I paid my registartion fee weeks ago, have been training and I'm ready for the 5K. However, I didn't get to run my 5K today. Why? Because Cystic Fibrosis decided to one up me. I got my spots back friday, and they just got worse and worse. They look like this: They take over my feet, and sometimes my calves. I posted about this a few weeks ago. I had them during the last few performances of Hairspray. I call it the "Mummy disease" because when it happens my joints freeze up and I can't move. So the morning of my 5K I wake up and they are on my thighs...     and on my arms. This is the worst they have been in years. I took pictures to show Dr. B at my clinic on the 11th.  I'm just really bummed and upset about my weekend! I was supposed to run my first 5K!!!!! I then had a bags tournament in Peoria for the Dream Factory, and was then going to head to Champaign for Sat night- Monday! My friend Alex, reserved me a ticket for Ren

No Holiday Blues, just Tummy Troubles!

Stomach Issues, Gee, Wonder Why: Let me start by stating that, I take a lot of pills. Its not a big deal and all of them are very important. I take vitamins, oral antibiotics, some oral steriods, pills for acid reflux, pills for arthritis, and then enzymes every time I eat.  But lots of people don't realize how crucial those pills are to me (well, to us CFers) I take 5-6 enzymes with meals and 3-4 with snacks (so 30 enzymes, and 10 other random pills a day). I have been good about taking them. I hate that Cystic Fibrosis affects my digestive system so much. If I can't digest anything, I won't have the nutrients I need to keep healthy, or be able to digest the food to keep weight on. Over the years, the enzymes have gotten better and help us absorb more. I've been on Pancreas, Creon, and now have been on Zenpep for the last couples years. I love my Zenpep ( read the RX list for Zenpep here ) However, the enzymes weren't effective enough when I was little t